Saturday, August 8, 2015

Education Tips for International Students in Canada

Each year over 130,000 foreign students come to Canada to complete studies in different universities in Canada. Additionally, many people come every year in order to learn English and / or French. The Canadian population appreciates foreign students who with their cultural diversity and enrich the educational experience of Canadian society.

According to the Constitution of Canada each province has full jurisdiction on education, so have created their own structures and institutions, in total there are 13 different systems with many similarities and some differences. All jurisdictions provide universal, free primary and secondary education for 12 years, with the exception of Quebec which is 11. Education is compulsory until the age of 15 or 16 years in most jurisdictions, but for example in Manitoba is to 17 and New Brunswick to 18 years.

How to enroll their children in primary and secondary education in Canada?

Children start their education in primary school (elementary school) which begins with the kindergarten for the youngest and going to the sixth or eighth grade. Next comes the secondary education or "high school". In some schools this is divided between junior grades (7-8 or 9) and senior levels (9 or 10-12). Students must complete high school for admission in the college or university.

The parent must enroll their children in local or "school office as Draft" school, you can find the numbers in your local "blue pages" of your phone book. When enrolling your child should bring the following documents:

Permanent Resident Card, Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292)

Birth certificate.

Vaccination certificate.

Additionally must bring previous school notes translated into English if necessary. Language skills and mathematics will be evaluated before assigning it to a class. Once the assessment is completed your child will be placed in the school program that best suits your needs if you do not agree with the results can speak with the principal (main).

Who needs a permit or student visa?

If your curriculum in Canada require greater permanence to six months, then you must apply for a student visa through the Canadian Embassy or Consulate in your country. In most cases, each university or educational institution has a department of international relations or foreign students who can advise you in your application process for the corresponding student visa. If your studies in Canada require a stay less than six months, you may be able to come to Canada on a tourist visa.

In any case, it is recommended that you give enough time to process your visa application and settings your travel plans once you have secured the documentation. If you find that you want to study in Canada after having entered the country, it is likely that authorities will order the commission apply for the visa in your home country, so you must leave Canada to obtain and begin your studies with your documents rule.

Who does not need a permit or student visa?

Some individuals are exempted from requiring a permit or student visa. You will not require a student visa if your course of study is shorter than six months. In any case, you should complete your studies during that period and that any change of status required to leave Canada to apply for the appropriate visa.

Either you will require student visa if you are under 18 and your parents are in Canada as "visitors" either as refugees or in the process of applying for permanent residence. Finally, if you have a family relationship or a member or representative in Canada of the diplomatic corps in your country (accredited by the Department of International Affairs e (Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade) trading, then you either need a permit or visa student in Canada.

Education Tips for International Students in Canada
Education Tips for International Students in Canada

Learn English and French in Canada

Canada has excellent language schools, mainly English and French, which means that foreigners can study in the country either of the two languages.

 There are subtle differences between the English spoken in Canada and the talk in the United States and the United Kingdom. The Canadian English is somehow as relaxed as the American, but generally speaking Canadians use more British words than the Americans. In terms of pronunciation and spelling, Canadian and American English differ slightly in some words, such as "neighbor" is written in Canada vs. "Neighbor 'in the USA.

Often, learning a new language is difficult, but necessary if you want to take advantage of your stay to the fullest. Try to start the learning process earlier in the journey. Watch movies in English without subtitles, listen to Internet radio stations in English and / or French, and read as much as you can in the languages you want to learn. If you live in a place where people speak English / French mother tongue, you probably want to place an ad in which you are looking for someone to exchange languages, and practice speaking.

The best way to learn English and / or French in Canada is to immerse yourself in the language as soon as you arrive to the country. Try to mingle with the locals and start conversations whenever you can, with neighbors, at the store or with the taxi driver. It may sound like a painful exercise, but ultimately worth it. The greater the effort at the beginning, the quicker you learn and soon you will feel comfortable speaking to anyone about anything. Do not be shy and be willing to make mistakes!

A common mistake foreigners make when arriving in Canada is to meet with people of the same nationality and not mix with the locals. We recommend that you try to make new friends who speak the language natively, it is the fastest way to master the language. Watching television can be very helpful; one of our readers commented how she now understands different accents from watching soap operas on television.

How to choose a language course in Canada?

At the same time, if you plan to work or study in Canada, we recommend choosing a school whose program prepares you for internationally recognized certification such as TESL in English and Diploma deludes end Langue Francoise - DELF and the Test devaluation DE Francois - T.E.F.

You can find any number of courses created to meet your needs, based on your knowledge of the language, the hours you have available for studying, how fast you want to learn and how much you're willing to spend. There are various courses full time to part time as well as residential courses (offering facilities for hosting). You can also find intensive courses and specialized options for executives, lawyers, doctors, and other professionals. As you can see, there are a wide range of options available.

We encourage you to investigate and compare prices, remember that it is always better to learn a language in a long time to try to learn all too quickly. Above all, be sure to choose the most appropriate course for you.

There are many universities that offer summer courses in English and French. Most universities also offer English and French courses throughout the regular prices reasonable for foreign academic year.

If you already have a residence permit you can take night classes at several high schools in Canada that offer programs for adult English / French as a second language.

You can also take private lessons, which can be more effective and more expensive than a language course. You could find a teacher to place a notice in the local newspaper or the bulletin board of universities, schools and supermarkets. You can try to find someone who wants to learn your language in exchange you teach yours. This is a great way to meet new people and to save money.

The cost of language courses and accommodation

The cost of courses varies, but generally speaking one two-week general English Rocks 450 Canadian dollars and US $ 285 (about 300 euros).

The accommodation for two weeks in a family will cost 300 Canadian dollars or about US $ 189 (200 euros) and live in a residence for two weeks costs about CAN $ 325 or a US $ 205 (about 215 euros).

Description of higher education in Canada, undergraduate and graduate.

Higher education is provided by public and private institutions. There may be "recognized," "registered" or "licensed" by government, or even cannot be regulated in any way. These institutions issue degrees, diplomas, certificates or certifications depending on the nature of the program and its duration. In colleges and universities, emphasis on degree programs is made. A number of colleges offer specialties.

College degrees are offered at three consecutive levels, bachelor's (graduate engineer), master's (master) and doctoral (Ph.D.), is generally possess the lowest degree requirement to aspire to the next.

Many universities also offer diploma and certificate programs. Generally speaking these require one or two years of study in a specific field or discipline. However, these programs vary widely from institution to institution and from province to province. College calendars are the best source of information on the nature and requirements of diplomas and certificates offered.

Students who start bachelor level are known as "undergraduate". Successfully complete secondary education program, or the two-year CEGEP program in the case of Quebec is the common requirement for admission to higher education. Bachelor or baccalaureate level normally requires four years of full-time study, there is also the possibility of getting an honorary degree (honors baccalaureate) but in some universities this implies an additional year of study.

The master level typically requires two years of study lay the successful completion of an honors baccalaureate. Although the normal requirement for a doctorate is the master some students have been allowed in special circumstances an honors baccalaureate pass a doctoral program. A minimum of three years and up to 5 years of study, research and dissertation are the normal requirements for a doctorate. The degree is known as PhD, but a doctorate can also be obtained in specific fields such as music (DMus) or law (LLD) .In regulated professions such as medicine, law, education and social work, an internship is generally required for license and so to practice

Colleges have taken degree programs as their primary activity and provide a degree of bachelor in three or four years. These usually simple transfer opportunities to universities students.

Common requirements for the admission process to higher education in Canada

The Canadian education system is decentralized so they should seek the place to study and deal directly with the University or College.

You can visit the pages of their universities of interest to request any information regarding these programs. If you wish brochures, they are can be sent by mail with the "application form" which is the form to fill for admission. The brochures describe not only the university and the courses they have a list of teachers in charge and his recent publications, which is a great help for orientation or ask more information.

Universities usually asked to fill out a form with their background (notes, title, etc.), Certificate of English such as TOEFL (and GRE for graduate in some cases), two letters of recommendation and a non-refundable sum of money to process admission. People generally falls within several universities to get into some. Costs for foreigners are high, but may be lower than in other countries like the United States.

The English exam is usually the TOEFL (Test of Ingres as a Foreign Language). No need to do in Canada, is taken worldwide on certain dates. The validity of the result is two years. It is multiple choice type. It consists of a part of listening, writing and in some cases a composition (TWE). There is also one where you should talk (TSE).

Postgraduate some universities ask for the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) coming general one and by specialty. It is the same company, Educational Testing Service.


IELTS (International Ingres Language Testing System): This is a test that can occur in the British Council offices in over 100 countries. Scores range from 1 to 9. To be accepted at most universities you will need to score greater than 6. For more information, visit

TOEFL (Test of Ingles as a Foreign Language): You can be in two formats: computer-based computer paper or paper-based. The former is available in most of the world, while the second is for countries where access to computers is limited. To be accepted at most universities you will need to score greater than 550 (with a maximum score of 677). For more information, visit

YUELI (York University Ingres Language Institute). Manages YELT (York Ingres Language Test) This is a test developed for students can enroll in the curriculum of undergraduate and graduate students at York University.

CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in Ingles): A very advanced level test offered by University of Cambridge. Students prepared for this level have great skill, and can function effectively in any English-speaking context. They are approaching a similar standard of a person with a high school degree, whose mother tongue is English. For more information, visit

CAE (Certificate of Advanced Ingles): This is a test of advanced level offered by the University of Cambridge. Students prepared for this level can communicate with confidence in English and deal with all aspects of daily life. They can cope comfortably in social and professional situations, and in higher education. For more information, visit

DELF / DALF (Diploma deludes end Langue Francoise / Diploma de Langue Françoise thorough). It is a certification of French offered by the French Ministry of Education, and is available in more than 130 countries.

TEF (Test devaluation DE Francois) is a certificate issued by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Paris which is recognized by business firms and educational institutions worldwide.

On student health insurance in Canada

In Canada, all international students must have medical insurance. Medical coverage for international students varies from province to province. In provinces where international students are not covered under the health program, students must have a health insurance.

Many insurance plans generally handle, refunds internationally. To avoid waste of time and money we suggest to take out insurance with a company that saves these procedures. Any adviser can help Canadian procedures on this point.

What does it cost to study at university in Canada?

Through this tool you can calculate the cost of university education (undergraduate and graduate) in Canada, please click the following link and follow the instructions:

Study costs in Canada

Can I work if I have a student visa in Canada?

Students are NOT generally allowed to work in the country. However there are some exceptions, if you qualify may partially work, but for this first you need a social security number for more information visit the following link in English How to work while studying in Canada?

Grants, scholarships and grants to study in Canada

Most Canadian provinces charge higher fees to foreign students (known as differential fees), and some offer a limited number of exemptions from these prices. Scholarships and grants for international students are available at some Canadian institutions for students with excellent averages. The amount and type of subsidy vary from one institution to another. Get a scholarship is competitive and application forms should be sent directly to each school.

Below "links" snapshots institutions offering scholarships for international students at different educational levels: secondary, language, certificate, diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate.

Other scholarships to study in Canada

There are several organizations in Canada that administer scholarship programs but they are usually for graduate students or professors who are studying or researching a specific topic. Canadian studies is a typical area for which there are awarded scholarships. Students must also seek financial assistance in their country of origin either in public institutions and private organizations that can provide assistance to students wishing to pursue studies abroad.



Post a Comment

Thanks for comments

Blog Archive